That's your opportunity ...
mediafellows is looking for a Backend Senior Software Engineer with experience in Ruby on Rails. mediafellows is a Berlin-based company developing and operating software solutions for media and entertainment companies across the globe. If you see a movie in a theatre, chances are high that it has been promoted using our tools. Our backend is built and maintained by a small, ambitious team of experienced developers. Some of us are based in Berlin, others are working in other European time zones.
You’ll get to work with a complex, mature code base that comprises multiple services providing various REST APIs. Our stack includes a wide array of technologies like Ruby on Rails, Postgres, Elasticsearch, Clickhouse, Redis, AWS EC2, AWS Lambda, etc. We also explore alternative software development stacks to build and deliver high-quality software, and we are keen to hear your ideas and suggestions in this regard. In doing all of this you'll never find yourself on your own: our small but driven team is here to support you whenever you need it.
We are looking for a candidate who is curious to learn, and eager to bring new knowledge and ideas to our team. You will be part of a team of all seniors, we hope that this encourages everyone to contribute and to learn from each other. This is an opportunity for you and also for us to explore technologies you and we haven't used before.
We provide office space in Berlin, but our team is distributed across Europe. So we are flexible in handling remote and on-site situations – but we really prefer to see one another every now and then in our bi-annual team events and coding camps.
What you will contribute ...
- bring in your enthusiasm, knowledge and skills to develop the most advanced SaaS solution for audiovisual content management and distribution
- spec, write, test, and deploy code for new features, data shapes, and API endpoints as well as work on business workflows and integrations with other systems
- analyze bug reports to track down and fix these
- automate tasks such as data imports or migrations
- review team members’ code to ensure high quality and continuous learning
- advise and coordinate your teammates as well as third-party developers to craft robust, highly optimized software components
- work across teams with support, frontend, and design to achieve company-wide goals
- directly communicate with customers and other stake holders to pinpoint feature requirements and solve their technical issues
- work on devops tasks and improve the way we all operate the services
- stand by to monitor real time issues every now and then - this is a flexible schedule (roughly every 6 weeks) but we are flexible in changing on-call
What we do expect ...
- 5+ years experience in backend development using Ruby (on Rails)
- experience with Postgres or another SQL database system
- experience building and consuming JSON APIs
- experience building automated tests using rspec
- exposure to git and git-based workflows, including github code reviews
- ability to find a balance between maintainability, security, performance, and flexibility
- strong autonomy, self-disciplin and ability to self-educate
- ability to communicate effectively in English
- true team player and enjoying sharing knowledge proactively
- you are based in the Central European Time Zone +/- 2 hours
- most importantly you enjoy what you are doing: profession = passion
What you can surprise us with...
- first hands experience with DevOps tools and environments
- infrastructure deployment using docker containers
- other modern programming languages
- video processing and streaming
- experience in writing and using JSON schema
What we have to offer ...
- Attractive bonus package based on your personal but also on the company’s success
- Broad flexibility in how, when, and where you work
- A company culture that respects your set hours' fair compensation
- Relocation package within Europe and support for obtaining a working visa
- Free choice of working tools and software you are most familiar with
- Modern Content and Asset Management platform with a fascinating growth perspective
- Fast-moving company and a team of smart, curious people
We welcome candidates enthusiastic about learning and personal growth. If you see yourself in this role, please apply!
If this position is of interest to you, please contact our HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org